Denim jeans are a timeless fashion staple across most cultures, capable of flattering any body shape when chosen wisely. However, finding the perfect pair of jeans that complements your unique body shape while feeling comfortable and empowering can be a daunting task. With countless styles, cuts, and washes available, it can seem overwhelming trying to find and match these key elements to your physique and personal fashion tastes.
Therefore, it’s essential to understand your body type and the jeans that will highlight your best features before making that purchase. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll help you make this all-important decision by walking you through the numerous aspects of denim jeans, including their cuts and what body types they best match with, helping you achieve a stylish yet also comfortable look.
Know Your Body Shape
Before embarking on your quest for the perfect jeans, it is important that you take the time to understand your body shape. By knowing the composition of your waist, hips, and even thighs, it is often easier to find the style of jeans that match your physique.
Typically, there are five main body shapes:
- Hourglass: Balanced bust and hips with a defined waist.
- Pear: Narrow shoulders and waist, with wider hips and thighs.
- Apple: Fuller midsection with an undefined waist and proportionally slimmer legs.
- Rectangle: Balanced shoulders, waist, and hips, with minimal curves.
- Inverted Triangle: Broad shoulders and bust, with narrower hips and waist.
Not all jean brands use these body shapes to determine their sizing and cut, especially in the case of men’s fashion jeans. However, you can generally trust this body shape guide in relation to major brands, or at least use them as a basis to relate to other sizing guides. Regardless, once you determine your body shape, you’ll likely be able to choose jeans that accentuate your best features and create a balanced silhouette.
Understanding Jeans Cuts
Jeans come in various cuts, each designed to flatter different body shapes. Always check the label of a pair of jeans to determine if they are a cut you personally enjoy or know will suit your body type. To build the foundation of your jean cut knowledge, here are some of the most common cuts:
- Skinny: Jeans that are typically fitted from the waist to the ankles, perfect for those with an hourglass or rectangular body shape.
- Bootcut: Cut in at the thighs and slightly flared from the knees down, great for balancing out wider hips and creating an elongated look. Therefore, it is an ideal cut for those with pear and hourglass shapes.
- Straight-leg: A timeless classic and one of the most notable types of jean cuts, these jeans have a straight cut from the hips to the ankles. This simple cut makes it suitable for most body shapes.
- Flare: These jeans are fitted at the waist and hips, with a dramatic flare from the knees down. Flare jeans are excellent for creating an hourglass shape and balancing out wider shoulders.
- Boyfriend: Looser and more relaxed in fit, these jeans are perfect for creating a casual and effortless look for all body shapes. Just be sure that the waist is somewhat fitted to your physique to hold together the look.
- High-waisted: These jeans sit above the natural waistline, helping to elongate the legs and define the waist. Suitable for all body shapes, but particularly for apple and pear shapes.
- Low-rise: These jeans sit below the natural waistline and are ideal for those with a more balanced figure or an hourglass shape.
Choosing the Right Wash
While it may seem surprising that just the color and pattern of jeans can be integral in the flattering nature of jean types, the wash of jeans can in fact significantly impact the overall look and feel of your appearance. Here are some tips for choosing the right wash for your body shape from the most common jean washes:
- Dark wash: Known to be both flattering and versatile, dark wash jeans create a slimming effect and can be dressed up or down. Ideal for all body shapes.
- Light wash: This particular wash adds volume to the right areas of your body and draws attention, making them best suited for those with a rectangular or inverted triangle body shape.
- Distressed or faded wash: These jeans are popular with more loose cuts as they can add texture and create a more casual look. Thus, they are better suited for balancing proportions on an inverted triangle or pear-shaped body.
- Classic blue wash: A timeless choice that complements all body shapes, creating a balanced and chic appearance.
- Colored jeans: When it comes to colored jeans, there are only two main tips to remember. Opt for darker shades to create a slimming effect if that is what your desire, but otherwise choose colors that suit your personal style and skin tone.
Focusing on Fit
The fit of your new pants is absolutely crucial when it comes to finding the perfect jeans for your body shape. There are plenty of options available, however, so we have been sure to highlight the most important fits to consider when matching jeans to your body type:
- Waist fit: To check how your jeans fit around the waist, ensure that the waistband sits comfortably at your natural waist or slightly below it. For an hourglass or pear shape, high-waisted jeans are an excellent option to accentuate your waistline.
- Hip fit: A correctly-fitted pair of jeans should hug your hips without being too tight or creating bulges. For a pear-shaped body, consider a slightly looser fit in the hips and thighs.
- Thigh fit: The jeans you choose should be neither too tight nor too loose around the thighs, ensuring a balanced look for all body shapes while also allowing you ease of movement.
- Length: The length of your jeans is crucial for a polished appearance. For straight-leg, skinny, and boyfriend jeans, the hem should rest just above the ankle. For flare and bootcut jeans, they should graze the floor when wearing shoes.
- Rear fit: Pay attention to how the jeans fit around your rear. A well-fitted pair will lift and enhance your curves, while baggy jeans may make your bottom appear flat. How you want to change your appearance can determine which fit is best.
Trying Different Brands
Every brand of denim jeans have their own unique cuts and sizing, so don’t be discouraged if the first few pairs you try don’t fit perfectly. Take the time to experiment with different brands to find the ones that suit your body shape best and you’ll be sure to find a brand you can trust.
Maplestore offers a range of denim jeans in varying cuts, washes, and fits, making it a great brand to start your search from. Particularly their Selvedge denim range, which Maplestore has included for its unique fabric, which fades more aesthetically and has greater flexibility than your average denim pants, allowing them to mold itself to various body types. Additionally, many brands, including Maplestore, now offer inclusive sizing and specialized lines for various body types, making it easier to find your ideal pair.
It’s clear that finding the perfect jeans for your body shape is a process that requires a bit of patience and experimentation. However, the end result is very rewarding for your physique when you make the time and effort. You just need to be sure to remember all of the aspects listed in this article, including your body shape, different jean cuts, how to choose the right wash, the need to focus on fit, and that you should not be afraid to try different brands.
Armed with this knowledge, you can confidently navigate the overwhelming world of denim and discover jeans that not only flatter your figure but also make you feel comfortable and stylish. Embrace your body shape, and let the perfect pair of jeans enhance your unique beauty!